Red Cedar Bison is delivered to you fresh-frozen to ensure safety. Please do not thaw at room temperature.
Thawing from frozen
- In the refrigerator – Place vacuum-sealed package on a plate in the fridge. Meat will thaw completely in one to two days.
- In the sink – Place vacuum-sealed package in a bowl in the sink. Run cold water over it until completely thawed. Do not use warm or hot water, this will start cooking the meat prematurely and might affect its texture.
Cooking from thawed
Let steaks come to room temperature before cooking.
Bison Cooking 101
The secret to perfectly cooked bison is low (325 °F) and slow cooking. Keep the temperature lower than you normally cook beef and other fatty meats. Bison should never be overcooked.
Bison is extremely low in fat. It will not shrink as much beef. It also will not release grease that needs to be drained off. In fact, in some cooking pans you will need to spray a small amount of olive oil, coconut oil or use butter to keep your meat from sticking to the pan. For low fat recipes you can add a small amount of water or vegetable broth to your pan for the same results.
Burgers and Steaks are best cooked by controlling the cooking temperature and time rather than using a meat thermometer or cutting the meat to check the doneness. Instant-read thermometers, puncturing or slicing the bison prematurely release the juices. It is best to allow your fork and knife at the dinner table to be the first piercing of your bison steaks.
Burgers and meatloaf should be cooked until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Preformed burgers can be cooked from frozen or thawed state. If you are forming your own bison burgers do not over manipulate the meat. Handle it minimally and gently.
(click a bison cut to learn more)
- For the best results bison steaks should never be cooked beyond medium. Medium and medium-well doneness will result in overcooked, chewy or dried out bison steaks. If you are opposed to eating bison that is medium, medium-rare or rare you should choose recipes that are cooked especially slow and low (180-200 degrees) over a period of hours.
- Cook all raw bison steaks and roasts to a minimum internal temperature of 145°F as measured with a food thermometer before removing meat from the heat source.
- Red Cedar Bison is very lean, which means that it does not have fat to act as a moisturizer in the cooking process. For this reason bison does not need to be cooked as long as beef.
- For delicious results create a flavor crust on the surface of your bison steak with olive oil, salt and pepper as a basic starting point. Other variations of herbs and spices can be added as well.
- While cooking your bison steak never use a fork to puncture bison steak or to turn it. Always use tongs to keep from puncturing the meat and releasing the natural juices of the steak.
- Grill temperature should be 325 °F or below. Most beef steaks are cooked at 425 °F to 450 °F.
Time and temperature for cooking Bison Steaks
1″ thick – Rare: 6 – 8 min. Medium: 8 – 10 min.
1 1/2hick – Rare: 8 – 10 min. Medium: 10 – 12 min.
2″ thick – Rare: 10 – 12 min. Medium 14 – 18 m
Chuck, Arm, Sirloin Tip, Tri-tip & Rounds Bison Roasts
- Sear stovetop in a pan or in the oven at 450oF
- Add ½ cup a liquid to roasting pan
- Roast in a covered pan 275 oF in the oven or in slow cooker
Rib, Loin & Tenderloin Bison Roasts
- Coat bison roast with olive oil and season with favorite rub
- Sear stovetop in a pan or in the oven at 450 oF for 10 min., each side before roasting uncovered in a 200 oF oven.
- Do not cook past 140 oF internal temperature
- Cook slow and low to a maximum cooked internal temperature: 155-160 oF (medium)
- Burgers and meatloaf should be cooked until they reach an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Preformed burgers can be cooked from frozen or thawed state. If you are forming your own bison burgers do not over manipulate the meat. Handle it minimally and gently.
Test Doneness by Feel
Professional chefs test the doneness of meat by time cooked and feel. Not all cuts of meat feel exactly alike, but these guidelines of testing by touch will give you a good rule of thumb.