Bison BBQ Slider Burgers
These sliders are SO good and worth every extra time that it takes to make them. If you have a salt-free bbq rub you can use 5 tbsp of it in place of the brown sugar, mustard powder, ancho chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, coriander, grown black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. But it must be salt-free or your sliders will fall apart.
1 pound Ground Bison
¼ cup Brown Sugar
¼ teaspoon Mustard Powder
1 teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder
¼ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1/8 teaspoon Oregano
1/8 teaspoon Coriander
½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
¼ teaspoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Hickory Liquid Smoke
1/3 cup Ketchup
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
2 Sweet Onions, sliced and caramelized
4 Pepperoncini, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Butter optional
2 clove Garlic, minced
4-6 slices Swiss Cheese
8 Slider Buns
Make BBQ Spice Mix
- Mix brown sugar, mustard powder, ancho chili powder, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, oregano and coriander together. Do NOT add salt yet. Set aside.
- Slice onions to 1/8″ thick. Add olive oil onions to sauté pan at low heat. As they soften sprinkle lightly with salt. Slowly caramelize onions until they are a rich brown. Add butter (optional.) Add thinly sliced pepperoncini and minced garlic until warm. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of BBQ Spice mix to ground bison, do not over mix. Gently form eight 2 ounce patties.
- Sprinkle salt on both sides of the formed sliders. Important: do not add the salt prior to forming patties.
- Grill burgers to desired temperature. Approximately 2-3 minutes per side on low heat. Burgers can be cooked on a grill or in a pan. Melt slice of Swiss cheese on top.
Finish BBQ Sauce
- Add remaining BBQ Spice mix to ketchup, salt and liquid smoke. Set aside.
- Spread remaining BBQ sauce on slider buns, followed by the burger with cheese and top it with the onion and pepperoncini blend.
Printable Recipe Below. You can easily double the recipe to have extra on hand using the printable version below.